Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Vintage baby jacket


This is one of the cutest baby jackets I've ever seen, if I do say it myself! The pattern is vintage reprint Simplicity 2900, and the vintage houndstooth wool comes from the scrap bag of my great-grandma. There was just the tiniest bit left -- as you can see, I had to piece the sleeves on, but since I was careful to be symmetrical I don't think it looks too weird. The jacket is lined with the cosiest, creamy flannel and ties with a soft satin ribbon. I love the way it turned out!

We don't know if our baby is a boy or girl (nor do we plan on finding out before the birth), but it's fun to do a little pre-baby sewing anyway. I admit my baby sewing has erred on the "girl" side, so I will have to do a few boy projects to even things out!

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Mom D. said...

The jacket did turn out well. The piecing on the sleeves sort of looks like cuffs. Plus the piecing makes it seem even more like a vintage article.

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Ash said...

Squee! I love this; I have seen this pattern before and have been tempted to scoop it up for The Future. Your beautiful baby jacket just made my day.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Kiri said...

How darling! Making baby things is so much fun. And I love that you used fabric from your great-grandmother.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Aww that is so sweet, the material is so nice and the little tie is a lovely touch

3:23 PM  
Blogger ~ Shannon said...

It's so sweet! You did such a lovely job with the piecing -- it looks like it was "intentional!"

Your work always inspires me!

Yours in Christ,
Shannon

6:15 PM  
Blogger ~ Shannon said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you all so much for the kind comments!

11:42 AM  
Blogger Polly said...

Lovely!! I wish I'd done some sewing like this before my son was born 2 years ago. Such sweet keepsakes!

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Speattle said...

Darling! I just purchased this pattern yesterday and have 2 baby granddaughters (cousins) born this year to sew for.

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home