Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Homemakers Creed

For my birthday, my parents gave me a vintage, framed copy of the "Homemakers Creed" which they found at an estate sale. I would guess it is from the '40s. It is labelled "General Mills Inc." and "Betty Crocker," so it may have been associated with some kind of sales campaign. Anyway, I'll be hanging it in my kitchen where I can view it frequently for inspiration!

HOMEMAKERS CREED

I BELIEVE
homemaking is a noble and challenging career.

I BELIEVE
homemaking is an art requiring many different skills.

I BELIEVE
homemaking requires the best of my efforts, my abilities, and my thinking.

I BELIEVE
home reflects the spirit of the homemaker.

I BELIEVE
home should be a place of peace, joy, and contentment.

I BELIEVE
no task is too humble that will contribute to the cleanliness, the order, the health, the well-being of the household.

I BELIEVE
a homemaker must be true to the highest ideals of love, loyalty, service, and religion.

I BELIEVE
home must be an influence for good in the neighborhood, the community, the country.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger the W. family said...

That is lovely! What a good reminder. :)
Blessings,
Alyssa

11:03 AM  
Blogger Polly said...

What an excellent gift! And so true!

10:46 PM  
Blogger Kiri said...

How inspiring!

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Maggie said...

I'm printing this out to keep handy for when I am the maker of our home.

I saw the pictures of your wedding dress. Could you please share what the bridesmaids dresses looked like?

1:16 AM  
Blogger Luci said...

True fact: the Homemaker's Creed was sent to all members of the Betty Crocker American Home Legion. And you were right about the date - they were printed in 1944! There were, I think, about 70,000 members.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Wow, thanks Luci! I tried to do some googling and came up with nil.

Maggie, if you click on the 'marriage' category to the right of my blog, you will find the post about my bridesmaids' dresses. :-)

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Maggie said...

I didn't know there were links like that. Thank you. It's all so beautiful.

6:46 PM  
Blogger ~ Shannon said...

I love that, Laura! I love how it's emphatic like a creed, and yet almost poetic! Lovely!

Yours in Christ,
Shannon

4:50 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Thats wonderful.

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Robin said...

Oh, I found it. I am going to have to print this out and put it in my kitchen. Thanks for sharing this. I also saw the post with the baby names....hmmm...which one will it be?

Blessings,
Robin

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home