Friday, June 19, 2009

Grandpa's cradle

In honor of my 26th birthday, I am going to stop being a lazy bum and post on my blog! :-) In all fairness, Douglas and I have been on the road the past two weeks -- first visiting his family in Colorado, and now we're staying with my parents. It's great to be "home" for my first birthday as a married woman!


The family has helped with "baby fever" by digging out all kinds of old baby clothes, blankets, toys, etc. Everyone enjoys this walk down memory lane. One item I'll be taking home with me is this beautiful wooden cradle, made for me many years ago by my skilled grandpa. Nestling inside is a vintage quilt, given to me with the cradle. I didn't realize until now that it was made for Arvid, my grandma's baby brother, who was born in 1929. That means it is 80 years old! I will probably use it as a wall hanging, since I don't want the old fabrics ruined by baby spit-up or other stains.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Happy Birthday! And what a beautiful cradle and quilt

4:45 AM  
Blogger Polly said...

Happy Birthday! I love the cradle & quilt. So special. Are you having the champagne blush cake again for your birthday? I made that last year and it was absolutely wonderful! I can't wait for a great occasion to make it again!

9:21 AM  
Blogger ~ Shannon said...

Many Happy Returns of the Day, Laura! And how absolutely wonderful that your precious baby will get to use the cradle made for you by your grandfather! That quilt will make a fantastic wall hanging -- I love the colors!

Love in Christ,
Shannon

9:11 PM  
Blogger Serena said...

Happy Birthday! The quilt is beautiful. It will make the room it hangs in so cheery! The cradle is wonderful!

6:08 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Happy Birthday! I too love the cradle and the beautiful quilt. What treasures to have for your first little one! How much love must be made up in that cradle and that wee darling quilt. Lovely!

7:10 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you, everyone! Polly, actually I branched out this year and requested a strawberry-rhubarb trifle in lieu of the champagne blush cake. The recipe was from another TeaTime magazine (I think it was the latest issue). I highly recommend it!!

10:59 PM  
Blogger April said...

I'm a little late chiming in with the happy birthday wishes, but I think you had a happy enough birthday without them! ;-)

What a lovely cradle and quilt...I love "old things" that have provenance (as they are so fond of saying on "Antiques Roadshow" ;-)). Are you planning on using the cradle?

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Vanessa said...

Happy Birthday! Sorry we missed you while you were back home, and extend our congrats. So excited for you! I love the baby cradle, it is beautiful.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks, April and Vanessa! Yes, I do plan on using the cradle for however long the baby will fit in it... after that, it can revert to a doll cradle for a while.

Vanessa, I'm sorry I missed seeing you, too! There was definitely not enough time to get in all the socializing I wanted to do. :-( Hopefully we can catch you next time we visit -- perhaps I'll have a baby in tow by that time! :-)

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home