Sunday, August 30, 2009

Fall maternity dress

Last Saturday I got inspired to do some fall sewing of my own. I love the color of this knit fabric -- a warm, autumnal purple. I didn't have a pattern, but I based it generally off of a maternity top I found at Goodwill, combined with a J. Crew boatneck tee. Douglas kindly fixed dinner so that I could sew it up in time to wear to church and a party the next day.


Despite my lack of a pattern, I think it turned out fairly well (the beauty of knits is that they stretch enough to cover most mistakes). I took some measurements from the shirts I mentioned, then "eyeballed it" when drawing out pattern pieces. The sleeves ended up a tad tight, since I forgot to take into account the fact that my limbs are (ahem) a little more plump these days. Sigh...

I found this page helpful when it came to reinforcing the shoulder seams and binding the neckline. To make the skirt, I simply cut out two rectangles of fabric, sewed them together, then attached them (with symmetrical pleats in front and back) to the bodice.

I saved the pattern pieces and plan to use them again to sew a basic, cream-colored maternity top this week.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Keri said...

Really cute! I could see that with some leggings for colder weather. Or in a shorter over some jeans. You look great pregnant!

9:29 PM  
Blogger Keri said...

I meant to type "in a shorter length!"

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi how are you?

I was looking through your blog, and I found it interesting, and inspiring to me, so I thought why not leave you a comment.

I too have a blog that I use out of Southern California here in San Diego.

Mostly it is a collection of artistic expression, and I have many friends with the same interests, maybe you can become my friend, and follow, and I can also follow you, if that is okay.

Well I hope to hear from you soon, and or read about you….LOL

Sincerely,
Jesse

12:59 AM  
Blogger Cheri said...

That is *beautiful* color on you, Laura! And as always, I'm amazed at how you can put together a gorgeous outfit by not having a pattern. I want to be like you when I grow up. =)

12:44 PM  
Blogger Breezy said...

Your outfits are always simply lovely!
I've never worked with knits before, so perhaps you'll have to show us sometime. :) Last Friday I acquired some fabric for three new skirts from a local quilt shop. I look forward to tackling them as soon as our project is done!

We made a mock example of what the first one will look like. I'll try to remember to bring it so y'all can see it. :D

Look forward to seeing you soon!
-Breezy

8:40 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Wow! That looks fabulous. And you look beautiful being pregnant. I always thought you were beautiful before you were pregnant but you are even more so now. What a great dress!

8:59 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks very much for your kind comments, everyone!

Keri and Sarah Jane, I have to admit I mostly just feel swollen everywhere, so comments like "you look great pregnant" make my day. ;-)

Cheri, you are too kind -- I'm sure you could do a better job than me! (I didn't point out all the little quirks in the dress that are known only to me, LOL.)

Breezy, I'd love to see your mock-up -- please do bring it! (And your fabrics if you feel like showing them off, too.) ;-)

4:07 PM  
Blogger Mom S. said...

How very beautiful you look, Laura!
Your "new look" suits you well, and brings joy to this grandmother-in-waiting!

1:20 AM  
Blogger ~ Shannon said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Laura! You continue to amaze me with your sewing skills! That color is absolutely delicious, too -- oh, just lovely (the dress and both of the wearers :-)!

Love in Christ,
Shannon

10:25 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you so much, Mom and Shannon! :-)

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home