Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Musings on authors

Sisters Shannon at A Maiden's Musings and Tiffany at A High Calling tagged me for this literary-themed meme, so how could I resist? :-)

Who is your all-time favorite author and why?
It's tough to pick just one! I'm going to latch onto the adjective "all-time" and pick Agatha Christie, since she's been on my list of favorite authors for 13 years! I read my first Christie mystery, Murder for Christmas, when I was 11, and went through the rest of her mystery novels in the ensuing three years. Her writing style isn't particularly spectacular and some of her books can get a little tedious in the middle, but overall her plots are engaging, her characters realistic, and her books are just plain fun to read! I like to take her books travelling with me since it's easy to get lost in the plot anytime, anywhere. My personal favorite is By the Pricking of My Thumbs.

Who was your first favorite author and why? Do you still consider him/her to be among your favorites?
My first favorite author was probably Lloyd Alexander. He wrote a five-book children's fantasy series called the Prydain Chronicles, consisting of The Book of Three, The Black Cauldron, The Castle of Llyr, Taran Wanderer, and The High King. I think my mom first started reading them to me when I was 10 or 11. His books grabbed my imagination in a way that The Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia never did (at that age, at least). I still really enjoy re-reading the Prydain Chronicles and my hardcover set is a cherished possession.

Who is the most recent addition to your list of favorite authors, and why?
Dorothy Sayers is actually a relatively recent addition. My mom had been trying to get me to read her books for years and for some reason I was just never interested. Then in spring 2005 I got sick and while I was laying on the couch in misery, I started watching my mom's DVD adaptations of Strong Poison, Have His Carcase, and Gaudy Night. I got hooked and started plowing through her books, and was delighted to find that her writing is even better than her plots!

If someone asked you who your favorite authors were right now, which authors would first pop out of your mouth?
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, John Masefield, Agatha Christie, Dorothy L. Sayers, Evelyn Waugh, Daphne du Maurier, P. G. Wodehouse, Madeleine L'Engle, Flora Thompson.

If you've made it this far, consider yourself tagged! Feel free to post your answers on your own blog or in the comments.

[EDIT: I forgot to add the official rules! Here they are:
Link to the person that tagged you, post the rules somewhere in your meme, answer the questions, tag six people in your post, let the tagees know they’ve been chosen by leaving a comment on their blog, let the tagger know your entry is posted.]

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Tiffany said...

Oooh, I haven't read Murder for Christmas. I'll have to see if our library has it! Thanks for mentioning it.

Tiffany

5:44 PM  
Blogger Polly said...

I did it!

http://mostlytruthandpartlyfiction.blogspot.com/2008/06/literature.html

I need to get my hands on P.G. Wodehouse. My husband and I LOVE the Jeeves & Wooster TV series.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Polly said...

Don't think that link in the comment worked. Oh well, one can simply click on my Mostly Truth blog and find June 13. :)

1:54 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for sharing, Polly -- here's a working link to your post. :-)

Tiffany, it's a fun book to read in December! (Or you can have your own little Christmas in July, that'd work too.) ;-)

4:14 PM  
Blogger Polly said...

Thank you! I'm technologically challenged, that's clear!

10:06 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Black said...

We have so many of the same authors. I found your blog doing a google search on Madeleine L'Engle. I just looked at your sewing gallery and... you are awesome. I see that you are due to have your first baby next month. Best wishes!!!

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home