Friday, June 06, 2008

Ask if yon damask rose be sweet...

If ever I thought that I could have my bridal attendants purchase their gowns, one stop at a bridal shop was enough to put that notion to rest! Thankfully, my mother-in-law-to-be and my mother are both wonderful seamstresses and are happy to help me sew some dresses for my bridesmaids.

While I was in Colorado over the weekend, Douglas and I were able to make a stop at Denver Fabrics. I didn't have a hard and fast idea of what I wanted the girls to wear, except for the color -- pale pink. While browsing, I found this lovely 100% silk damask in their bridal section (at a reduced price, even!). I thought the damask would be too overwhelming for a full-length gown, so I took some swatches home and pondered what I could do with it.


A browse of LanetzLiving yielded several possibilities, with McCall's 3571 (view A) being an all-around favorite. Bingo! We can use the damask for the lovely top and find a coordinating plain pink for the skirt.

My three new sisters-to-be, Emily (nearly 24), Alanna (nearly 15), and Louisa (11) are going to be my attendants. I'm quite thrilled to finally be gaining some sisters. :-)

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger emme said...

Oh, that should look lovely!

~Emily

2:09 PM  
Blogger ~ Shannon said...

Laura, I used that top pattern for my Senior recital gown, and I love it! I've actually used it for a regular blouse, as well -- I hope you end up liking the pattern as much as I did.

That fabric is incredibly gorgeous -- I can't wait to see the finished dreses!

Yours in Christ,
Shannon

11:17 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Shannon, I wondered if it was the same pattern you used! I remember really liking your dress when you shared photos; no wonder this pattern jumped out at me again. :-)

11:21 PM  
Blogger April said...

That is a delicious fabric...and it's pink! So much the better! :-)

Isn't Denver Fabrics wonderful? It can be dangerous, though, for the pocketbook, anyway. ;-)

11:25 PM  
Blogger Cheri said...

Next time you're in CO, I'd love to meet you! If you can believe it, I've never been to Denver Fabrics, but I doubt that I'd live to far away. =)

BTW, that pink fabric is just lovely!

12:06 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

April, yes, I love browsing their selections of REAL SILK and REAL WOOL! (Something our local JoAnn's is obviously missing.)

Cheri, sometime when you're in Denver you must make a stop at DF! I know you'd love it. Yes, it'd be fun to meet both you and April sometime while I'm in CO. I keep hoping Douglas and I will live there but as of yet we just don't know where we'll end up! I'll give you a U2U on the S&S board next time I plan to be in CO and we'll see what might work... :-)

11:18 PM  
Blogger April said...

Now THAT ^ would be fun! :-)

4:30 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Awesome! I LOVE Denver Fabrics! Too bad they're not as big as they used to be but they still have a great selection of formal fabric!

1:32 PM  
Blogger Serena said...

That is lovely fabric. I know what you mean about gaining sisters--I got three, as well, when I got married (and a more diverse group would be hard to find!).

7:48 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

April, I will U2U you as well... :-)

Michelle, I've noticed DF has been cutting back even in just the three years I've been visiting their store -- I hope it's not a foretelling of things to come!

12:06 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

That is a really pretty pattern and I love the material!

Have you already showed pictures of your dress? I'd love to see it.

Stop by my new blog sometime:

www.homemusings.blogspot.com

Good luck with all the preparations.

Take care ~ Elizabeth

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home