Monday, April 28, 2008

Tea and crumpets

Crumpets are one of my favorite teatime treats! You'll need crumpet rings (like these) to make them, but it's worth tracking some down in order to have fresh, homemade crumpets. I recommend the following recipe, which came to me by way of my friend Susan:
  • 1 pkg. yeast (2-1/4 teaspoons)
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 cup warm water (~110 degrees F)
  • 1/3 cup milk at room temperature
  • 1 egg
  • ~4 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Combine yeast, sugar, and water and let stand until bubbly. Blend in milk, egg, and 1 tbsp. of butter. Add flour and salt and beat smooth. Cover and let stand in a warm place until almost doubled (around 45 minutes). Brush insides of rings and surface of griddle with the melted butter. Heat rings and pan over low heat. Pour about 3 tbsp. of batter into each ring.


Bake until holes appear and tops are dry (around 7 minutes). Remove rings and turn crumpets to brown the other side lightly (around 2 minutes). Repeat with remaining batter.


Serve warm, or cool and toast before serving. Makes 7 to 8 crumpets.

(LAURA'S NOTE: I usually triple or quadruple the recipe. The amount you get will vary by the size of your crumpet rings and how heavy-handed you are when pouring batter.)

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger ~ Shannon said...

Mmm, we had a friend who made crumpets for us once! They're so lovely!

Thank you so much for posting the recipe -- I'll be tucking that away in my recipe file until I find some crumpet rings.

Yours in Christ,
Shannon

10:48 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Ooo,your crumpets look lovely, much nicer than the shop-bought ones, which are all I've ever had! Have you ever had scotch pancakes?

Rachel xxx

6:01 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Shannon, you're welcome -- enjoy! :-)

Rachel, I've never tried Scotch pancakes, but when I googled it I came across this blog which looks great. Perhaps I can try that recipe soon!

7:27 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Wow, that blog looks like a treasure trove of nice recipes! Thanks for finding it!

Rachel xxx

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello, shelley here, love the pics!
the cat shows a great sense of discord! thanks!
much love, shelley malcolmson, carrickfergus grammar school xo

4:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look and taste great! Is there any easy way to preserve them and yet keep them fresh tasting?

1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home