Friday, April 11, 2008

Hope chest


I've never actually had a hope chest, but upon learning of my engagement, my Grandparents Ackerman gave me a cedar chest in which to store items for my future home! It was made in the late '40s or early '50s by my Great-Grandpa, who was blinded in World War I by a mustard gas explosion in France.

Mom and I went over to their house yesterday to pick it up. Grandma had emptied its former contents onto the bed, none of which I'd ever seen before -- and boy, were there some treasures! I'll share more about what was inside in the next few days...

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Cheri said...

It is beautiful, and compliments your room so well! (I'm going to assume that it's your room) What an heirloom that I'm sure you'll treasure for years to come!

4:29 PM  
Blogger Serena said...

That is beautiful! I have my grandma's cedar chest. It's a bit scuffed up (I can't imagine why, with her having twelve children and all), but I love it. I'm eager to see what other treasures you have to share!

8:47 PM  
Blogger Polly said...

It is lovely! My husband gave me a 'hope chest' for the first birthday we celebrated while married. Wish I'd had it earlier to store up treasures for our home! ;)

10:42 PM  
Blogger Family W said...

It's gorgeous!

12:07 AM  
Blogger ~ Shannon said...

How lovely! And what a treasure to have something that your Great-Grandfather made. Did he actually make this while he was blind? I can't wait to hear about some of its contents!

And may I just say, I love your bedspread :)

Yours in Christ,
Shannon

9:59 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Shannon, yes, he did make it when he was blind -- my grandpa says it was from a kit. Thanks for the compliment on my bedspread; I love it too! :-)

5:52 PM  
Blogger Lauren Christine said...

It's beautiful!!!

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home