Monday, March 24, 2008

Great-Grandma Irene


While at my uncle's in Ohio, I found this old photo of my great-grandmother, Irene. Judging by the style of the hat and coat, I would date this in the late '20s or early '30s. (She married my great-grandfather, Jim, in 1931, so it could've been taken sometime around then.)

Irene's maiden name was Dembinski and her family came from Poland (can you see the eastern European look in her facial features?). Photos of her as a young girl are few and far between, so I was especially delighted to find this one.

(I've previously shared Great-Grandma Irene's recipe box and Great-Grandma Irene's pie crust recipe, if you'd like to put a face to the name.)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger ~ Shannon said...

She was lovely! And those Eastern European features are so striking. Why is it that modern pictures just aren't as glamorous as the old black-and-white's? Of course, the fur collar may have something to do with it!

How special to have such a wonderful photograph of your great-grandmother.

Yours in Christ,
Shannon

9:29 PM  
Blogger Family W said...

What a wonderful find! :)

8:34 AM  
Blogger Lauren Christine said...

What a GREAT find! Wow, I agree... the fur collar made it very striking :) What fun to have a picture of her.

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home