Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Bride's Book

Inside her cedar chest, my grandmother saved a bridal magazine from when she was married in 1947. I'd rather take a look at this little gem than have a dozen modern bridal magazines!


It has articles on everything from engagement rings to bridal etiquette to the honeymoon. I really got a kick out of the "Check List for Your Trousseau," which I've reproduced for you:

INTIMATE WEAR:
  • Two negligees
  • Nine nightgowns
  • Two housecoats
  • Pyjamas
  • Six pairs of panties
  • Six slips, tailored and dressy
  • Six bras
  • Four girdles
  • Two or three bedjackets
  • Six to eight pair hose

DRESSES:
  • Going-away outfit
  • Spectator sports
  • Active sports
  • House dresses (for "home work")
  • Dresses for business, if any
  • Suits
  • Afternoon dresses
  • Dinner dresses
  • Evening dresses

SHOES:
  • One pair for the going-away outfit
  • Spectator sports pumps
  • One pair for business use
  • Evening slippers
  • Boudoir slippers (to match lingerie sets)
  • One pair of rubbers
  • One pair of galoshes or boots

HATS:
  • Going-away
  • Business
  • Morning
  • Afternoon
  • Dinner
  • As many hats as you can wangle!

ACCESSORIES:
  • Mix and match -- gloves, scarves, veils, belts, costume jewelry, umbrellas, bags.

COATS:
  • Fur
  • Dressy cloth
  • Sports
  • Raincoat
  • Informal shortie
  • Evening wrap

LUGGAGE:
  • Travel suitcase
  • Week-end case
  • Wardrobe trunk
  • Hat box
  • Travel beauty box
  • Jewel case

BEAUTY AIDS:
  • Cleansing cream
  • Skin lotion
  • Night cream
  • Make-up
  • Foundation cream or lotion
  • Rouge
  • Powder
  • Lipstick, for type and for costume
  • Eye brush
  • Eyebrow pencil
  • Eyeshadow
  • Mascara
  • Cotton
  • Perfume
  • Bath powder
  • Hand cream
  • Manicure kit
  • Nail polish (to match lipsticks)
  • Cologne
  • Toothpaste, brush
  • Deodorant
  • Bath salts
Yup, seems like you'd have everything you need there! What puzzles me is why the list only requires six panties (how often do YOU launder??) yet calls for nine nightgowns. Cologne AND perfume seems a little redundant, but I suppose it's okay to splurge on both. And I definitely agree with the admonition to acquire "as many hats as you can wangle!"

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. R said...

I was thinking exactly the same thing about six panties and nine nightgowns! That's crazy!

11:01 PM  
Blogger Family W said...

I love this list! :)

9:42 PM  
Blogger ~ Shannon said...

Wow, nothing like being prepared! Nine nightgowns does seem a bit excessive, though. And all of those coats! What a fun list, and what a wonderful bridal magazine!

Yours in Christ,
Shannon

11:24 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

Love the hat comment.

12:50 AM  
Blogger Lauren Christine said...

Hee hee, how funny! I love this list! :) Thanks for sharing it!

10:42 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hello there, I hope you don't mind me commenting on your blog...I discovered it whilst searching for information on "The box of delights" on google. I love the clothes you make, they're beautiful, I only wish I could make my own clothes! I love Vaughan Williams too, wonderful music! I love this old Brides magazine, I'm getting married in August but unfortunately don't have 9 nightgowns, how will I cope?!

12:57 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hello, Rachel, thanks for saying "hi" -- it's always fun to find others who share the same interests. :-)

10:54 AM  
Blogger Narelle Worboys said...

Hi there! Yes, indeed, this is an intriguing list.

I suggest that the 9 nightgowns is intended to take into account summer, winter, and maternity usage.

Cologne is short for eau-de-cologne, which is a watered-down perfume. Concentrate perfume is and was significantly more expensive and thus would have been saved for special occasions.

=)
Narelle

www.BoutiqueNarelle.blogspot.com
an internet helpline and resource for modelling modesty

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Lenore Ball said...

Hi! I'd love more info on who published this magazine! We own and publish a modern magazine also entitled "The Bride's Book" might be fun to glance thru and compare or something!

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home