Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Bridal attire - an update


Got the fabric for the bridesmaids' skirts! This lovely sueded silk shantung also comes from Denver Fabrics, but I did not purchase it during my visit to the store because I didn't think there was enough fabric left on the bolt (just shy of seven yards). After looking around at other options and swatches I kept coming longingly back to this shantung! Finally my mom suggested a way to get three skirts out of this yardage which I think will work, so I went ahead and ordered it via phone. It coordinates wonderfully with the pink damask for the tops and drapes so beautifully, much better than a synthetic fabric!

The mock-up of my own gown is nearing the end stages (I hope)... Mom and I have been working on ironing out some of the kinks of the hemline today, and I hope to place an order for my fashion fabric soon.

A funny story: last night I tried on my final mock-up, hoping that it would fit well and require minimal alterations -- when suddenly it seemed to be more ill-fitting than ever! After going through three bodice mock-ups you can imagine my frustration! My blood pressure was rising and I couldn't handle working on it anymore at that point, so I took a break. My patient and calm mother took the mock-up to do some work on it and figured out what my problem was -- I had reversed the side front and side back pieces! They are quite similar in shape so during the pattern tracing from mock-up #2 to #3, I accidentally mislabeled the pattern pieces... I am so, so grateful to my mother for sparing me hours of frustration and confusion by discovering my mistake! I honestly could never even think of undertaking the task of sewing my own wedding gown if it wasn't for my mother's help.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Polly said...

The dresses will be beautiful!

How lucky you are to have such a talented and patient mother to guide your wedding dress-making. I can't even *imagine* doing it, and I can't wait to see what yours looks like when it is done. So fun!

6:18 PM  
Blogger Natasha said...

Oooh, wow... I would love to have made my wedding dress. I have only just begun sewing, so if I had sewn my wedding dress, it would have probably been disastrous!! :)

I'm sure the dresses will be stunning. Praise the Lord for patient and calm mothers!

3:02 AM  
Blogger ~ Shannon said...

The material is absolutely gorgeous; I can see why you were so drawn to it! And the photo of the two fabrics together looks like it came out of "Victoria." :)

I can't wait to see your wedding gown -- I know it's going to be lovely, and perfect for you!

Yours in Christ,
Shannon

10:04 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I love the Bridesmaid's colours...the dresses will look stunning! And I can't wait to see your dress, and will be so special for you to know you've put so much time and effort into it. Mums are the best...always there to calm us down when we're feeling stressed!

Rachel xxx

12:37 PM  
Blogger Lauren Christine said...

Too funny :) I can't wait to see your dress!

7:15 PM  
Blogger sherry said...

Oh my, the fabrics to be used for bridesmaid dresses are dreamy. So glad you and your mother figured out a way to use the yardage effectively. I'm sure we all look forward to pictures one day. :o)

Will your maids be wearing a cameo necklace or bracelet like the one shown in the picture?

11:32 AM  
Blogger sherry said...

one more thing...

When my second eldest sister married (way back in '74), my mother stitched all the bridesmaid dresses (5) using chiffon and satin. She also made her own dress. When I was little she made all our clothes...every piece...for four little girls. My favorite was a light blue cotton with Peter Pan collar and the sweetest embroidered yellow duckie on the bodice.

Wonderful memories.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you for your comments! Lady Jane, I'm not sure what accessories my bridesmaids will wear yet, though perhaps some pearls would be nice! I just got carried away with adding "props" in my photo. ;-)

My mom also made her own wedding gown and her bridesmaids' dresses were also home-sewn, though I think each girl sewed her own (or found someone else to do it for them). That was 30 years ago!

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home