Thursday, October 18, 2007

Diary of a Christmas dress

I don't make or buy a new Christmas dress every year, but it is fun to plan a special new dress for special holidays. When I was a girl, my mom made me many beautiful little dresses for Christmas and Easter, and now that I can sew for myself, I like to continue the tradition.

This year's inspiration comes from a dress that J. Crew sold last year, the Justine dress (view 1 and view 2). Even when it went on sale for a reasonable price, I resisted buying it because I knew it would be a huge pain to figure out how I could make that too-low neckline wearable.

Looking through my mom's old 1970s patterns, I found a few I thought I could amalgamate into something similar. The original J. Crew dress is rather 1940s-ish, and believe it or not, some '70s and '80s patterns have a '40s look about them. I quite liked the bust and shoulder darts on McCall's 4207, and I thought I could use the midriff and skirt pattern from Butterick 3731 (making the skirt tea-length and omitting the front seam). I will probably just experiment to get the sleeves right. Here's the little sketch I did of how the final outcome should look:


I'm planning on doing some other Christmas sewing, too, so here's hoping I can get this done! My goal is to have it finished by the time my Mom and I go to The Nutcracker ballet (another yearly tradition), on December 15.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Lauren Christine said...

I'm thinking about planning a Christmas dress, too! I'm thinking maybe a cranberry Regency dress...

12:30 PM  
Blogger Family W said...

I'm always inspired by your sewing, and that sketch is so well-done!! You are so talented! Can't wait to see the dress. :)

11:41 PM  
Blogger Cheri said...

I have never thought of making a Christmas dress. What a neat idea! Do post pictures when you finsih yours! =)

12:25 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Lauren, that sounds like a lovely Christmas dress! (My other Christmas sewing is a white voile Regency gown from the Elegant Lady's Closet pattern... and MAYBE a Spencer jacket?! Where will I get the time?!) :)

Lynn and Cheri, thank you! I will definitely share pictures when it's finished. :)

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home