Monday, October 15, 2007

Anticipating Christmas


Every year I try to hold back my excitement for the Christmas season until a reasonable time (i.e. after Thanksgiving), but it seems I just can't do it! I've been listening to Christmas music for a couple of weeks now and the other day I started reading one of my favorite Christmas-y books (The Box of Delights by John Masefield... perhaps I will post more about it later). I've been plotting and planning my Christmas dress (cranberry wool crepe) and dreaming up ideas for our family Christmas celebration. This year we have invited some of our closest family friends to come and spend the holiday with us, and we are anticipating a joyous time together! Some of the things I'm looking forward to this year:
  • midnight mass at the Episcopalian church on Christmas Eve (we are not Episcopalian, but we occasionally enjoy their services when, as Lanier says, "our High Church longings mount to a certain point!")
  • family advent devotions and Scripture readings
  • A Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols broadcast live on the radio from King's College, Cambridge
  • gobs of Christmas foods and smells... wassail, oranges and cloves, gingerbread, cranberries, etc.
  • exchanging homemade gifts
Has anyone else started anticipating Christmas? :)

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Serena said...

Oh, yes! Lists are spinning through my head, I've bought some new decorations already, and my kitchen smells like Christmas...it's wise to spread those goodies out. ;)

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't yet, I should like to though. But my sister would be anything but pleased if I was to start playing Christmas music or anything already. Sigh... But come the end of November and December I will at least be "allowed" to start. :)
I have however started planing a dress I want to make for Christmas, the skirt of it is to be of green and black checked silk.
I hope you will tell us more about the book you mentioned, it sounds interesting.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Family W said...

I have, but being so far from home leaves me with a slight feeling of, I don't know.... listlessness maybe? I think that would be the best description for me. But then, I've done nothing to improve my mood. I feel sure that once the decorations are out, and the music is playing.... I will feel differently. I will miss Duke Chapel though, and the beautiful choir that sings there. Oh and our annual 'A Christmas Carol' play that we so love to watch each year....who knows, maybe I can find one here. Or maybe I will have to start some new traditions! :) I would love to hear about that book too! :)

9:52 AM  
Blogger Lauren Christine said...

Ah! Yay! Really I hadn't thought about Christmas till I read this. But just the thought brings me joy :)

7:29 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Aurora, your dress sounds gorgeous! Wow, checkered silk!! Please share pictures with us on the S&S board. So many of your projects are just lovely -- the long winter coat and velvet spencer jacket come to mind. :)

Lynn, I hope you can find some new traditions to enliven a Florida Christmas!

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Laura! That is so sweet of you to say and it really made me happy! I'll make sure to post pictures of it when I get it done. :)

3:00 PM  
Blogger Genuine Lustre said...

You're nutz - I'm still waiting for fall! -LOL.

I did receive my newly purchased used copy of Christmas With Rosamund Pilcher in the mail this week. Does that count? And some shopping is done.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Polly, you'll think I'm really crazy if I confess that I've been listening to Easter music, too. :)

Actually I just enjoy listening to beautiful music, no matter what time of year it is!

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home