Friday, October 05, 2007

Oxford shoes

(This morning I spontaneously decided to incorporate today's post into a Show and Tell. This is my first time participating in such a thing... Enjoy!)


I have had great success with finding vintage-style shoes for reasonable prices on eBay. Many may not realize this, but there was a vintage revival in footwear styles in the late '80s and early '90s. Frequently, buying actual vintage shoes from the '20s or '30s is far too expensive, and the extreme age would make me wary of wearing them, anyway. Searching for shoes that are only 15-20 years old makes the price more reasonable (I've never paid more than $20, even with shipping), and the quality is better. Vintage-style shoes like this could never be found in stores nowadays -- I've looked!

These particular oxford shoes are made by Bernard Holtzman. Some other good brands to search for are Enzo Angiolini, Etienne Aigner, or Stuart Weitzman. There are certainly others I'm unaware of, too -- if you are older than me, you might have some better ideas. (I was just a kid during the time period in question!)

Throughout the next week, I'll share a few of my other eBay finds. If you've ever shared my frustration at finding beautiful, old-fashioned footwear, I hope these posts will help and inspire you!

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger Rose of Sharon said...

Wow! I love your shoes! They are so cute. I am 46 and remember well the revival of the vintage shoes. We wore cute prarie dresses and vintage looking shoes. The shoes like you have were also worn with jeans and looked so cute.

You are a very sweet Christian young lady. Your blog is very pretty!

Hugs! Sharon

9:25 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

How neat these are. Glad you joined in with Show & Tell. It is such fun and I look forward to it each week.
Susan

9:43 AM  
Blogger Amy ~ (Life's Small Treasures) said...

How pretty! Thanks for sharing your shoes with us! Welcome to Show and Tell Friday's
~Amy

10:11 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Fun! Yes, I'm 44 and had some vintage shoes really similar to this! :)

Welcome to Show and Tell Friday! Come visit mine if you can!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Hootin Anni said...

Oh I really like these shoes!!! I bet you got a great price for them through e-bay, huh?

Welcome, this is one of the most interesting weekly memes in my estimation!!!

My show n tell is shared, won't you drop by?

12:35 PM  
Blogger nannykim said...

Soooooooooo--do you wear these?? They look mighty uncomfortable with the pointy-ness (says, the lady with the EEEE width fat feet!!!) Cool , though.!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for the compliments, ladies! Nannykim, yes, I do wear them -- they are not really that pointy, although I suppose the angle of the photograph makes them look that way. :)

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love them!!!

Chrissy

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun find. Enjoy your future treasure hunts...

6:03 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

I so love your shoes! I never would have thought to look on ebay for vintage style shoes...I don't know why, considering one can find everything on ebay! lol xo

6:52 PM  
Blogger Kelli said...

Welcome to show and tell, Laura!
Those are great shoes, what a good idea to look on ebay!
Kelli

7:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I Love that style of shoe and have found a lovely brown pair and multi colored pair and then I found a black pair all thrift stores and almost brand new!! I see you have great taste!!! Mica

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a neat find! I am sure the quality is far better than current shoe styles.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Ooohh I LOVE these shoes! Wouldn't they be fun to wear!

Cathy :)

1:46 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

These look like something I'd wear! Great find. Now I'm off to eBay!!

12:57 PM  
Blogger Family W said...

I think they're awesome Laura, what a great find! :)

11:46 PM  
Blogger Serena said...

Gorgeous shoes!

2:56 AM  
Blogger Genuine Lustre said...

Stunning. I have a pair of lace up oxfords but the heels aren't that pretty and the toes are square. They're very comfy and I feel very WWII-ish, but . .. something's missing.

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home