Monday, September 24, 2007

A Saturday outing

On Saturday, my friend Susan and I took off to the northern extremities of Nebraska, around the Ashfalls fossil bed area. Susan's friend Marilee lives in a small town nearby, in an old (for Nebraska!) home built in 1873. We met up with Marilee and, after eating lunch at a cute little roadside restaurant called Green Gables, made our way out to Ashfalls.

It was a lovely day to be outdoors -- not too hot, not too windy -- and Susan and I enjoyed seeing the terrain of northeastern Nebraska (hills! and trees!).




Marilee's home was a delight to the eyes (see my previous post). She is, among other things, a fiber artist, and she had several beautiful quilts that were given to her by crafty friends. She is also a collector of antiques, and I just loved all the beautiful old books, furnitures, wall art, etc. that filled her home!

My favorite touch, however, was probably the mis-matched lace curtains (Battenburg and woven lace) at the windows. She had thrown the windows open and a gentle breeze fluttered through the house, bringing fresh air and outdoor scents within. Before we headed back home, Susan and I enjoyed sampling Marilee's homemade wild rose and vanilla tea. It was a thoroughly lovely day!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Genuine Lustre said...

Laura - just wanted to let you know that I finished "My Love Affair With England" thanks to your recommendation. I LOVED IT!! Toth is really a kindred spirit. My grandma was born in England, but I've never been there. But I too am in search of the quaint, romantic, literary England. I can't wait to read her other books.
p.s. - have you ever seen a copy of This England magazine? You can google it and order a free copy. It's sort of like the US magazine called Reminice -- all about the old fashioned England that we like to think of.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Polly! I'm so glad you liked the book. I loved all the different aspects of English life and travel that she covered in each chapter. Thanks for the magazine recommendation -- it sounds like it would be right up my alley!! I will check it out!

3:12 PM  
Blogger Family W said...

It sounds absolutely heavenly!!!! Do you keep a nature journal?

10:30 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Lynn, I do like to take note of the beauties of creation, especially through photography. I guess this blog is the closest thing to a "nature journal" that I have! :)

10:34 AM  
Blogger Promise Christian Academy said...

Beautiful photos... I almost felt 'there'! What sort of berries were they?
Hilda Rebecca

11:01 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hilda Rebecca, thanks for stopping by. To be honest, I have no idea what kind of plant that is! :) But I loved the colors...

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home