Friday, September 07, 2007

Messiah

Dad and I are on board to be a part of the community choir's performance of Handel's Messiah this coming December! Our local college performs it triennially, in conjunction with the town symphony orchestra and any members of the community who want to throw in their hats. That is the great thing about living in a small town -- beggars can't be choosers, and in this case, I can be a part of this performance, despite my musical ineptitude. (I figure I can't do too much damage hidden away in the choir.)

So, what is your favorite piece from Messiah? (And you cannot cite the "Hallelujah Chorus," because we all like it.) My two favorites are the recitative, "For behold, darkness shall cover the earth," and the air that immediately follows it, "The people that walked in darkness." Gotta love that bass!!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the chorus "He is the King of glory" because it is the first triumphant note after Christ's sufferings. I also like the tenor solo "Why Do the Nations so Furiously Rage Together" because of its vibrant energy, and the choruses "The Lord Gave The Word" and "Their Sound Is Gone Out" for the same reasons. I tear up when I hear the alto solo "I Know That My Redeemer Liveth" and the great bass/trumpet duet "The Trumpet Shall Sound, and the Dead Shall Be Raised Incorruptible." I'd like to hve them played at my funeral, if possible.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'll remember that at your funeral, hopefully a long time from now!!

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home