Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Fezziwig Ball: the CLOTHES

Which, as we ladies know, is really the most important part. ;)

On the invitations, I wrote: "You are invited to wear 19th century costume, or come dressed in your finest dancing attire!" 19th century costume is a pretty broad category, and even within my family we'll be spanning a few decades.

I've been working on a new Regency emsemble for myself. I made a bodiced petticoat from Mrs. Chancey's instructions (pictured below), and now I've started cutting out my actual dress. I'm using gorgeous white cotton voile and the Elegant Lady's Closet pattern from Sense & Sensibility. I chose the view with 3/4-length sleeves and a gathered neckline.


I also plan on making my brother, Nathan, a "Mr. Darcy" costume -- the men's 1812 waistcoat from Rocking Horse Farm, a muslin shirt, and cravat. He's going to look rather dashing, if I do say so myself.

Mom's Romantic dress is already taken care of, courtesy of Cheri, and Dad will either rent a Victorian costume, or else wear a Victorian-esque vest my mom made for him two years ago. We think it'd be fun to stuff his shirt front with pillows in an attempt to make him look like Mr. Fezziwig, but my dad gets hot easily and I don't think it would last throughout the evening. ;)

Mrs. S. has been sewing up a storm for her family, so we know at least a few of our guests will also be in costume!

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Cheri said...

Your outfit sounds heavenly! You must post pictures when you're finished. =)

3:24 PM  
Blogger Serena said...

Oh, I am waiting eagerly to see your dress! Your mom's dress is so pretty! Of course, Cheri always does beautiful work! And I might have to get the 1812 waistcoat pattern, and convince my husband he needs said waistcoat.

4:18 AM  
Blogger EB said...

I can't wait to see your finished dress! Your work is always so beautiful. The ball sounds incredibly fun. I've enjoyed reading about the preparations very much.

Emily

4:51 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Can't wait to see the final product! I've been wanting to make a regency dress for a while, would love to konw how you find working with the S&S patterns

2:31 AM  
Blogger Polly said...

Truly enjoying the ball prep...and LOVE the attire! I cannot wait to see everyone in their finery! I was hoping you were making your dress...although I haven't stitched anything in years I want to start sewing again sometime, maybe when the baby is less of a...baby!!

2:50 PM  
Blogger Lauren Christine said...

Can't WAIT! :) Lovely petticoat!

11:19 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you so much, everyone! I'm nearly done with my bodice -- the hardest part. I forgot to mention I have some lovely cotton pantalettes to wear under my petticoat, too. :) No one will see them, but they'll be there just the same!

9:28 AM  
Blogger Family W said...

Laura, you inspire me so much with your sewing! What do you do about inside seams? Do you use a serger or an overedge stitch? Or do you just not worry about raw edges on the inside of a garment? I almost can't bring myself to leave raw edges. :) Since I don't have a serger or overedge option, I've been ironing the seam allowance under and stitching it before I proceed to the next step. Just curious what you do. :)

God Bless,
Lynn

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home