Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Fezziwig Ball: music and dances

The CD we have purchased for use at our Fezziwig Ball is actually called "The Pride and Prejudice Collection: Volume II" by the Pemberley Players, which I ordered from the Country Dance and Song Society. I didn't know what to expect, but the music is a lovely and soothing blend of flute, violin, piano, and cello. Perfect!

I am an English Country Dance novice, but with the help of online videos and instructions, I've managed to acquaint myself with some of the dances. For those of you who might know what I'm talking about, I think we'll teach "Hole in the Wall" (simple), "Juice of Barley" (lively), and "Mr. Beveridge's Maggot" (elegant). I'll try to learn one or two more dances yet, but I don't think we'll get through more than three or four during the course of the evening since we'll be instructing as well as dancing!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger ~ Shannon said...

It sounds like you will have a lovely party! I hope all of your guests have seen "Pride and Prejudice" at least once, so they have the basic idea of English country dancing. My sister and I routinely dance "Mr. Beveridge's Maggot" together, with imaginary couples!

I can't wait to see pictures of your evening.

-- Shannon

11:04 AM  
Blogger Polly said...

Ahhh! I have never done these dances but they sound so fun.

And leave it to the British to come up with the most delightful, eccentric, wonderful names for their dances. Just like English pubs--wonderful clever names. I love it!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

LOL, Shannon, as I've practiced I've danced with quite a few imaginary couples, myself! :) I'm excited for my brother to arrive so I can start teaching him the dances.

Polly, I also love the names -- my friend Emily told me that "maggot" can mean an impromptu musical piece, which makes sense in this context.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Family W said...

a fezziwig ball.....I think this is the greatest idea!

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home