Thursday, November 05, 2009

A favorite passage

"As they entered the little street, it was so dark with the promise of snow that the shops were being lighted. They were all decked out with holly, mistletoe, tinsel, crackers, toys, oranges, model Christmas trees with tapers and glass balls, apples, sweets, sucking pigs, sides of beef, turkeys, geese, Christmas cakes and big plum puddings.

'I say, I do love Christmas,' Kay said."

--The Box of Delights by John Masefield, first published 1935

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Oh I love "The Box of Delights"! We were watching the BBC adaptation last week - I'm really in the mood for Christmas now!

5:03 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

How sweet. Now I will have to read it!

7:40 PM  
Blogger Serena said...

How lovely. Time to start the Christmas music!

10:43 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I love love your sewing and posts! Thanks for being such an inspiration with your work, and taking the time to share it with us all! It is really encouraging to hear about all the things God has done in your life!

I've put a link to your website on my blog.

http://leastinthekingdom.blogspot.com/

I hope you don't mind!

Lauren Ashley

12:47 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Rachel, I love the BBC version! Alas, I have to wait until I'm at my parents' house to watch it, since Douglas and I don't have a VHS player. As far as I know it hasn't been released on DVD in the US.

Lauren, you are welcome to put a link on your blog! Thanks very much!

4:51 PM  
Blogger Nathan said...

Yay for classic BBC productions! I'll make Chandra watch it with us =]

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home