Sunday, October 25, 2009

Autumn tartan skirt


Here's my new maternity skirt from Simplicity 5756, which was given to me (along with a slew of other maternity patterns) by another young mom at our church. This was my first time working with a "real" maternity pattern, so I was very curious about how it would be constructed and how much I would like the final result.


The skirt pattern is extremely simple -- two pieces of woven fabric plus a belly panel of stretch knit, all topped off by an elastic waistband. If your woven fabric is 45" wide, you end up with quite a bit of leftover, so I cut out three circular ruffles to add to the bottom of the skirt as well. I really like how simply and quickly it comes together.

However, the sizing is utterly bizarre. I decided to cut out the skirt in a size 16 (compared to my usual pre-pregnancy size 14). This was not based on my actual current hip measurements (which put me at a size 20), but on comparing the "finished garment measurements" (provided on the back of the pattern) with the measurement of a store-bought maternity skirt that fits me well. Well, the finished size 16 skirt was much too big -- it hung off the largest point of my belly and made me wonder exactly what the knit panel was for, since it clearly wasn't stretching over anything! I ended up taking a total of four inches off the upper waist area of the skirt, and I'm happier with the fit now. But this makes me think I could have gone down a size from my pre-pregnancy measurements! So be forewarned -- if one can gain around 45 lbs. and go down a size, I think the pattern runs pretty large. ;)

I haven't decided if I prefer the belly panel that goes up and over one's stomach, as in this pattern, or the wide band of knit-covered elastic that goes under the belly. The latter is more comfortable, but as my belly grows it doesn't stay in place very well. Moms, what's your preference?

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger ~ Shannon said...

I love it! The circular ruffles are so elegant and feminine, and the whole outift is very flattering. You have such a wonderful, happy glow about you!

But I'm afraid I can't offer any opinions on maternity skirts! ;-)

Blessings,
Shannon

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Elizabeth said...

I have to admit that I only made one piece of my maternity clothing and bought everything else, but when it came to maternity waistbands, I'm a definite fan of the over-the-belly styles. I felt like I was always having to hitch my pants/skirts up with the low ones. And you know, I've come to the conclusion that maternity patterns are just made BIG, because the one piece I made was a dress to wear for Easter, with a zip up the back and everything, and it was huge! As in, I could pull it right over my head huge. And I think I only made it up one size from my regular size, too.

Anyway, I love your new skirt (and your boots). You are one stylish mom-to-be!

:-) Elizabeth

8:27 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Quietude, I have loved reading your blog and find SO much inspiration from your posts. I am expecting as well, but I am not a sewer. Your clothing that you make looks like high fashion and I love all of your maternity styles! After seeing your page and your work, I wish so badly I had learned to sew! :P

1:44 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

It's lovely - tartan is so autumnal, and you look lovely surrounded by the fallen leaves.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for your kind words, everyone. It has been a challenge to find cute things to wear on a tight budget, and that is part of what I love about sewing my own clothes!

Elizabeth, it's not too late to learn to sew! Give it a try! :-)

7:17 AM  
Blogger Polly said...

That's a great skirt! Next time I'm pregnant, I might seek out that pattern!

I preferred the over-the-tummy waistband style. It seemed to feel more secure, and although in the last month *everything* was sliding down (so it felt), having fabric over my bulge seemed to just work better for me.

You're looking very pretty and autumnal!

9:48 PM  
Blogger Chelsea said...

The only underbelly item I have is a pair of shorts - I LOVED them! I haven't worn them in the last 2 months so I don't know if the way they fit changed with belly size. I've been wearing 2 pairs of jeans lately, one has a panel that goes completely over the belly (and can be folded down) and the other has a panel that goes half way up and has elastic. Both of them constantly fall down. I've mostly been wearing non-maternity knit pants that I tie under the belly and they fit and feel comfortable, I just end up stepping on the hem though. So I'm assuming that I prefer underbelly. I really need to sew some maternity clothes - skirts especially, I have none and am starting to look like a frump all the time in my sweats. Maternity clothing has been harder for me to find, both because of price and I'm at 6 months and just finally have hit 15 lbs over pre-pregnancy weight.
I love looking at all your sewing pictures, they are so inspiring!
~Chelsea

6:31 PM  
Blogger Serena said...

The skirt is beautiful and looks wonderful on you. The circular ruffles are the perfect touch! Isn't it strange how they add soooooooo much ease to patterns?

I tend to favor below-the-belly waistbands. I should note that this applies solely to skirts, since I've never found a pair of maternity pants that worked for me. I did buy a pair of knit athletic non-maternity pants in a size larger than normal during my first pregnancy, because being ladylike while sitting on the floor during our birthing class was utterly impossible in a skirt.

I've carried low ("Oh, it's a boy!") both times, and haven't had a huge problem with the beneath-the-belly waistbands not staying up, though I can't say that much besides a cute, somewhat stretchy high-waisted dress is really comfortable past a certain point! I didn't like the above-the-belly waistbands because I felt like they hung off me strangely and made me look odd.

2:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did you do the panel on the skirt? I am making some skirts for my daughter in law and I have a Simplicity 2655 pattern. I bought some ribbed material for the panel, but I don't know how to measure to put it on the skirt.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Modest Maiden,

This pattern included a pattern piece for the jersey panel, so I just used that. You might want to check out Shannon's blog, Thoughts and Thimbles, in particular this post, as she used the very pattern you mentioned to make some maternity skirts. I hope that's helpful!

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so pretty with the skirt and boots!

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home