Saturday, July 26, 2008

What is it?


Can any of you guess what this is? I'll give you a hint -- it pertains to vintage menswear.

EDIT: It is a collar bar, used to keep the collar together and give a little "oomph" to the tie. Emma wins, as first to describe its function correctly! (I am impressed -- I have been vaguely looking for one for Douglas to wear at our wedding, and the salespeople at Brooks Brothers and Burberry barely knew what I was talking about. You all are obviously a lot more knowledgeable about vintage menswear.) ;-) This one belonged to my Grandpa. It can only be worn with shirts that have eyelets in the collar.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger MamaBirdEmma said...

Is it that "thing" that goes from across the tie from collar to collar?

9:14 PM  
Blogger momawake said...

That was my guess, a tie bar.

9:21 PM  
Blogger EB said...

Hmmm. I'll bet the answer is something less obvious...my guess would also be some sort of collar tie, but it looks too big for that. Could it be some kind of collar stay? Or something similar to a tie bar but for a wider type of tie? Like a cravat? Such a mystery!

1:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home