Wednesday, October 31, 2007

1940s bustle-back skirt

(Sorry about the fuzziness; I asked my dad to not use the flash, and this is what came of it! Sigh!)

I've been wanting to try Evadress 5569 for about a year now, so recently I finally bought it. I was inspired to use a red plaid by this fashion sketch of an Elsa Schiaparelli bustle skirt from 1948. I love this pattern -- from the front it looks like a regular pencil skirt, and then you turn around and lo! all these amazing details! You could even omit the bustle and just make a skirt with drape-y pleats in the back. Despite how it looks from the front, the skirt is quite full, with plenty of room for walking.

For a few more slightly-fuzzy-yet-better-shots-of-the-bustle pictures, click here and here.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Family W said...

Great job! I love it. As usual, I am so inspired by you. :)

11:49 PM  
Blogger Serena said...

You look lovely! I am quite tempted to try that pattern myself, now!

2:01 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks all! :) This will be my Christmas outfit if I don't get that cranberry crepe dress made in time.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Polly said...

Perfect! I love it!

I just discovered your blog and find it so charming. Your sewing gallery is just lovely.

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home