Saturday, July 14, 2007

Fabric stash (long post!)

Inspired by this post at A Dress A Day, I thought I'd get out some of my stash so I could visualize what I've got and maybe get motivated to do some stash-busting. I love looking at other people's stashes, so therefore you will probably love looking at mine. :)



This light blue dotted swiss has been in my mom's stash for around 15 years. She originally bought it to make me a dress during a homeschool study unit on Switzerland. However, I didn't like the fabric choice and would have none of it (what an awful child!). Well, 15 years later, Mom is vindicated, since I like it now and plan to make a dress out of it. I think there's about 4 yards, but I'm waiting to find a pattern that will do justice to this beautiful fabric.



Similarly, this is four yards of black and white polka-dotted cotton that I bought recently with a coupon from a local craft store. (The polka dots are quite small -- if you're further than 3 or 4 feet away, the fabric just looks gray.) I vaguely had in mind this pattern, but since the pattern calls for five yards and I only bought four, I'm not sure what I was thinking. Hmmm!



I bought this gorgeous wool plaid at Denver Fabrics about a year ago, thinking I would make it into an ankle-length, bias-cut, A-line skirt. However, when I later looked at the fabric on the bias, I realized that the plaid does not make squares, it makes rectangles, and that wouldn't look so great on the bias. Now I'm hoping I might have just enough to make EvaDress 5569 in the longer length!



I salivate when I look at this fabric -- it is soooo beautiful! When our local Hancock Fabrics was going out of business earlier this spring, I got this length of herringbone wool for 70% off. Unfortunately there was only a little over a yard left on the bolt, but I think it's enough to make myself a simple winter skirt.



This fabric is 2-1/2 yards of Austrian challis given to me by my friend Susan. The quality is simply gorgeous. For now I'm saving it until I have a daughter, hopefully one who loves The Sound of Music so I can make her an Austrian dirndl out of this. :)

Part two coming later!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Serena said...

What lovely fabrics! I enjoyed looking at your stash...and since I've been going through my own stash the past few days, I may have to copy you and do the same thing!
QueenOrual from S&S Boare

1:49 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Serena, please do! Let's start a stash-sharing chain reaction! :)

4:17 PM  
Blogger Lauren Christine said...

Hee hee, I might have to participate as well. I love your idea for the last fabric- I'm such a fan of The Sound of Music. I often say to myself when I start going through my stash, "Oh, I'll keep this for little girls dresses!" :)r

6:17 PM  
Blogger Serena said...

I do the same thing with fabric for little girls dresses.

Well, I've shared a bit of my own stash. It's here http://memgirl.blogspot.com/2007/07/fabric-stash.html if you want to take a peek! This is fun! Great idea, Laura!

And Lauren, you should share, too!

2:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home