Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Fashion in literature II

Various excerpts describing Harriet Vane's wedding gown in Busman's Honeymoon by Dorothy L. Sayers:

"Fierce bustle about wedding-dress -- Worth's -- period gown in stiff gold brocade, long sleeves, square neck, off-the-face headdress, no jewels except my long earrings that belonged to great-aunt Delagardie." -- The dowager Duchess of Denver

"...very well she looked, all in gold, with a beautiful bouquet of chrysanthemums." -- Bunter

"Yesterday she looked like a Renaissance portrait stepped out of its frame. I put it down first of all to the effects of gold lamé, but on consideration, I think it was probably due to 'lerve.'" -- Miss Martin

I'm fascinated by this description -- if I recall correctly, this story is set in 1935, so were past-fashions a fashionable choice for wedding dresses? I wonder where Dorothy Sayers got the idea for this dress. I've never heard of Renaissance-style dresses being popular in the '30s (or perhaps Harriet was a fashion renegade). :)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

All girls dreams about their wedding, and about their wedding dresses, right?
I love your post! It makes me dream again!

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home