Monday, October 27, 2008

Wedding gown

Finally, a bit more about my wedding gown...!


Here's the sketch I did of my dress waaaay back in January or February of this year. (Alert minds will catch that I wasn't even engaged at that point, heheheh...) I based it off an Edwardian silhouette because I think the princess lines and trumpet skirt are some of the most elegant, flattering, and beautiful design elements of all time.

If you have watched the movie Anne of Avonlea you may remember a dress that Anne wears which is creamy white with a neckline of fabric flowers. That dress made a strong impression on me as a girl and I have always thought there is something very beautiful and feminine about a floral garland around the neck or shoulders. I also like the touch of color to the white dress -- it seems joyous and happy.

I decided to use silk duchess satin for my dress because the drape of the fabric would work well for my design, and it isn't quite as shiny as some other kinds of satin. The underskirt would be made from silk georgette for some variation and softness.


I made several mock-ups of my gown, using Butterick 6926 as a jumping-off point for my bodice. Finally, I felt ready to drive into the real thing, so I placed an order for fabric from Fishman Fabrics in Chicago, which arrived in mid-July. Using my final mock-up as a pattern, I cut out my dress and sewed it up.

Also in mid-July, I combined a visit with Cheri and April in Denver with a stop at the home studio of Helen Gibb in Louisville, Colorado. Douglas didn't know what I was up to and was quite mystified when he dropped me off at her home! Helen's studio is a ribbon paradise and she was incredibly helpful to me as I shopped. There were so many gorgeous, beautiful ribbons to choose from that I was able to find the right colors and many beautifully textured ribbons to make the flowers on my gown. Neither my mom nor I had ever made ribbon flowers before, but with the help of Helen's books we were able to make all the flowers you see on my dress.


My veil was almost an afterthought. I had ordered some silk tulle from Fishman Fabrics without really know how I was going to make my veil. I knew I wouldn't be able to find anything I liked in a bridal store, and I wanted a fingertip-length veil that also covered my face. I wanted it to be simple and old-fashioned. Finally I just decided to cut out an oval shape, stitch it to a headband, and that was that! I didn't even finish the edges -- I liked the ethereal, cloudy look of not having any hard lines where the veil ended. Extremely easy!


Oh, and I did make my petticoat, too -- but I'm not even going to get into that! :-)

(Thanks to my friends Keturah and Sarah for all the photos in this post!)

Labels: ,

26 Comments:

Blogger MamaBirdEmma said...

GORGEOUS!! You did a beautiful job, Laura!

5:26 PM  
Blogger Polly said...

Absolutely gorgeous dress and design. I loved that dress in Anne of Avonlea too! Am inspired by your ribbons! Makes me want to sew my own wedding gown--even though I've been married 9 years! :) {maybe i'll have a daughter....}

10:32 PM  
Blogger Keri said...

It's breathtaking!

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Laura, it's simply breathtaking! Such a beautiful wedding gown! I agree about Anne's dress being very beautiful, but I think your's is even more so!

5:26 AM  
Blogger sherry said...

Swoon.

The ribbon flowers are incredible! Love every little detail and more than anything I love that you made the dress yourself. What a gift.

11:33 AM  
Blogger hi said...

Just have to say again that...

I LOVE IT.

Seriously, I think that is dress I would want for my wedding.

And I love the veil. I have always hated traditional veils and just wanted a simple piece to drape over the head - lovely to finally see somebody do it! :)

7:56 PM  
Blogger EB said...

Laura,
You are very talented seamstress! I think it's so special that you sewed your own gown. I wish I had had the skills to do the same when my husband and I were married. Your gown will be a treasured heirloom and it is certainly a much more personal reflection of your classic, graceful style (may your marriage be as sweet and old-fashioned as your wedding!), your care for detail and workmanship (care in sewing and in marriage preparation), and your love for beauty (and for the beautiful act of marriage) than any other dress would have been. What an inspiration!

9:21 PM  
Blogger Serena said...

How appropriate that your wedding gown was inspired by one of Anne's dresses! ;)

It is so beautiful and elegant! The quality of the fabric is apparent. The ribbon flowers are so pretty. The whole dress is just completely unique and lovely. It suits you perfectly!

3:21 AM  
Blogger Anna Kristine said...

Your dress is incredible! The detail is so beatiful! And you look ever so lovely. :) Thanks so much for sharing pictures.
~Anna Kristine

1:14 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Stunning!! You look absolutely gorgeous!

2:28 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I LOVE it! I think that's one of the most beautiful wedding gowns I have ever seen. You did an absolutely fabulous job.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I love the design! Great job on everything.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

BEAUTIFUL!

10:38 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Wow, just gorgeous. I love the ribbon roses. The close-up is breath-taking.

Wonderful!!Elizabeth

6:27 PM  
Blogger Polly said...

I have to add I did a similar thing with my veil--everything I saw was too much and not simple enough. So I had my seamstress make it--just 3 layers of tulle--the first was over my face, fingertip length, the second was long to my waist and the third extended a few feet beyond my train. All raw edges. it was perfect, so simple and did not detract from the beauty of the dress!

12:28 AM  
Blogger ~ Shannon said...

"Beautiful" is just not the right word -- I don't know that there is a sufficient word in the English language to describe your dress! :-) It's amazing how much it reflects your personality! Thank you so much for sharing pictures -- your wedding is truly an inspiration!

Yours in Christ,
Shannon

10:36 AM  
Blogger Kara Dekker said...

Your dress is so lovely! Thank you for sharing.

Kara A.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Absolutely stunning! and the flowers add just the right finishing touch.

5:27 PM  
Blogger April said...

Your dress turned out SO very lovely, Laura! I was eager to see the result after having seen your drawing, and it is every bit as beautiful as I expected (and more! :-D).

12:34 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you all so much for your kind comments! It is a wonderful feeling to have all that hard work appreciated.

Amanda, that is probably the highest compliment any woman could offer -- that she would want to wear the dress for her own wedding! :D Thank you!

8:43 PM  
Blogger Me said...

What a beautiful dress you made! I just happended upon your blog and enjoy what I see. :) Thank you for sharing your beautiful wedding. I'm sure I'll be back to visit!

Zebu
yearningforpurity.blogspot.com

1:02 AM  
Blogger Anwen said...

Wow, beautiful AND modest! I enjoyed visiting your site!

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did your bridesmaids dresses look like?

1:13 AM  
Blogger saffiertje said...

What a great job you dd on your wedding gown!!! I love it especially the little flowers! AWESOme!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Mondeskind said...

I just found your blog while doing a search on Anne of Avonlea. Your gown is beautiful! Congratulations and congrats on making a truly lovely gown!

4:45 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

I am so happy to find these photos. I have been trawling the internet looking for inspiration for a simple silk tulle veil that sits flat on the head and not at the back of the head. I've finally found it! Thank you, I am going to use your veil as inspiration for my own :)

You looked beautiful on your wedding day!

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home