Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Victorian coinage in Britain

If, like me, you enjoy reading pre-WWII British literature, you may have come across financial terms that have puzzled you. For example, can you tell me...

1. How many pence in a shilling?
2. How many shillings in a pound?
3. What is a bob?
4. What is the difference between a guinea, a pound, and a sovereign?
5. How many shillings in a crown?
6. How many shillings in a half-crown?
7. What is a farthing worth?

If you are confounded by these questions, I recommend this web page on Victorian coinage, which I found a few years ago while searching for clarification on the pre-decimalized currency of England. The author gives a thorough explanation to all of the questions above. (One ommission is the definition of a quid, but I will tell you here and now that it's a slang term for a pound.) This article might require several re-reads if you are mathematically challenged like me, but in the long run it will afford you more understanding of old British lit.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Family W said...

Very cool. Your blog is beautiful, I love it. There is another blog it sort of reminds me of, and you might would love it too.....
http://a-sentimental-journey.blogspot.com/ I love to read her posts. They have the same charm and character yours do. God bless!

11:40 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you so much! I've seen that blog before and you're right, it's lovely. :) I enjoyed taking a look at your new photography blog... your portraits of your children are precious. I hope that I can be the "family photographer" when I have kids of my own!

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home